Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final Reflection (Blog Post #7)

Returning back to my first post, instead of saying that there’s a change in my perception towards the importance of effective communication skills, I feel that I’ve actually learnt a lot more about communication through this module. In my first post, I’ve only focus on how communication is vital in avoiding misunderstanding or may even in resolving conflicts and eventually help in building of relationship. However, I realized I have neglected on the difference between oral and written communication, and also the importance of effective written communication.

Not only do I get to understand more about the importance of effective communication, the module had also allows me to know more about myself. Moreover, it prepares me for my job search after I graduate. The skill builders for writing resume, job application letter and mock interview had allowed me to improve on my mistakes and thereafter increase my chance of getting a suitable job.

I guess the most enriching learning experience that I had from this module was the group project for research report and oral presentation. Not only were I able to apply the effective communication skills that I have learnt, I have also learnt about many other skills such as teamwork and time management skill.

Overall, I’m really very glad to have taken such a useful module. And of course, I’ve enjoyed every lesson all thanks to the wonderful and fun-loving classmates. Not forgetting our tutor, who taught us so much and even shared her own experience. I will continue to reflect on my communication skills and hopefully be a more effective communicator.

6 comments:

Gary Ng said...

hey daijing! I think it is really important to equip ourselves with skills such as writing resumes, job application letters and mock interviews because we will need it in one or two years time. Therefore, by attending this module, it has benefited us tremendously. I agree with you that it is an enriching learning experience to do a presentation and research report in this module. It is because this can hone our team building skills, prioritizing skills and our confidence etc. Therefore, I think we all benefited
ourselves in the process of taking the module.

Edwin said...

Hello Daijing! Your first paragraph brought up a very good communication. I think most of us often focus on communication in the aspects of avoiding misunderstandings and resolving conflicts. Somehow we tend to neglect the other component of communications which is effective writing. As such, it is great that the course has made you realised the importance of both components.

I believe the best take home from this course for most of us (if not all) would be the skills related to job searching. The technique of drafting a good resume, the preparation involved in a successful job interview will prove to be very useful in our near future.

Time management is something I believe Chen xin, Jia Hwa and I have learnt as well! =) All the datelines and all the long meetings! But I am glad it has made all of us stronger!
Lastly, I wish you all the best for your upcoming examination! Time management!!! =)

Illya Nafiza said...

Hey Dai Jing, I think you pointed out an important thing that we learnt.

Amidst all different skills that we learnt though out this course, we also learnt something about ourselves. How sometimes we simply brush things off like listening, writing etc. We discovered things about ourselves that we never knew. For example, I didn't realize that listening actively was important. I thought listening was good enough. I also thought I know myself well enough. Oh boy, the exercises on the job search prove me wrong!

Illya

You Fei said...

Hi daijing,

Like you, my first post was mainly about avoiding misunderstandings and how communication can make or break a relationship. And, like you, the course has very much widen my perspective of communication and extended it to oral, written and even listening skills.

I believe all of us has much more to improve and to learn as we continue in our daily and formal/infomal communications. Having said that, the course has covered such a wide variety of communication skills that have laid the foundation for us to work towards to being a more effective communicator.

miranda said...

hey dai jing!

Glad to know you as a friend!
Anyway, just like you, I have learn alot from this module. Communication is definitely not the few skills that we have listed on our first blog post. I hope all of us would be able to use all these useful and helpful tips learn from the course in our daily lives.

We will indeed benefit from all the skills taught in class. Be it writing skills or even soft skills, it doesn't come in a single day. It has to be cumulative. I hope we wouldn't have to use much time to accumulate all the skills. Otherwise, we would be a 'disgrace'!

All the best to you and good luck!!

grace kim said...

Hi Dai Jing,

I'm glad that besides the communication skills which you picked up from this course you have also learnt more about yourself, about time management and about teamwork.

It has been an enjoyable experience for me too and I have to thank you and your classmates for that!

All the best in your journey towards becoming a more effective communicator!